According to Vedic Astrology, Planet Mercury governs communication, thinking ability, personal ideas, logical and intellectual ability. It is associated with the setting of goals and achieving them through concrete actions. Retrograde Mercury affects speech abilities, decision making abilities and causes communication hindrances. It signifies a period of introspection, a time to reconsider past decisions made, make amends and settle problems.
A retrograde motion of a planet is just an apparent phenomenon that happens when seen on Earth. When a Planet is in Retrograde, it appears to be going back. Actually, no planet has a retrograde motion. All Planets except Sun and Moon appear to go back in stages: Forward to stationary, stationary to retrograde, retrograde to stationary, stationary to forwarding.
While orbiting between the Sun and Earth, Mercury gets closer to earth during this period. The approximate motion of Mercury is 2 ½ degrees per day. Mercury retrogrades thrice a year for approximately 20 – 26 days total period. During this year 2018, Mercury Retrograde happens three times:
- Mercury Retrograde in Pisces – March 22nd – Apr 15, 2018
- Mercury Retrograde in Cancer – July 25th – Aug 18th 2018
- Mercury Retrograde in Scorpio – November 16 – December 6th 2018
When Mercury goes retrograde, difficulties and obstacles emerge and it can influence a person`s behavior, intelligence, decision making abilities. Negative influence of the Retrograde Mercury can make a person change decisions often resulting in unnecessary complications. Mercury rules Media and Telecommunication and this period may cause technical breakdowns. This period is not considered to initiate new endeavors.
- Regular prayers to Lord Vishnu and chanting of Vishnu Sahasranama will help to solve problems caused due to ill effects of Mercury Dasha.
- Fasting of Wednesdays may bring favorable results.
- Sweets like ladoos should be offered and distributed at Ganesha Temple on Wednesdays.
- Cows must be fed with green leafy vegetables on Wednesdays.
- Watering tulsi plant daily attracts positive vibrations.
- Charity should be made to orphans or poor children